Toplita municipality HistoryThe analysis of the historical evolution of Toplita settlement with the first signs of habitability may begin with Antiquity when Dacians and Carps lived freely here, Ptolemeu indicating in this area the presence of Sangidava fortress. Like in the case of other parts inhabited by free Dacians, the population consisting of from agro-shepherd groups, exploited the common land, grassland, highlands, forests and mountains. After the Roman conquest, this area was connected to the Roman colonists through shepherds from the mountain summer sheepfolds; later, the Daco-Romans from the Gurghiu Valley remain connected with Free Dacians and Carps on the Eastern slope of the mountain chain around Toplita municipality.
In the following centuries the area would be ruled by Goths and Carps, and later by Slavs, agro – shepherd villages groups of autochthons living on until the XIII-XIV centuries, according to some sources. In the year 1453 the Gurghiu area was made up of 26 families constituting one of the major seats on the western slope of Eastern Carpathians, in close connections with Toplita area which belonged to the Gheorgheni Chair, yet sparsely populated until the end of the 18th century.
By testimonies attesting the age of the settlement along the superior course of Mures, it has been the actual city name "Toplita” designating the source of hot water spring, name which has been preserved until today and the thermal water sources as well. Throughout the ages people have lived on these places uninterruptedly spread out on the mountain valleys, constituting the oldest majority population, and by their side other ethnic groups have settled , the most important among them were the Hungarians and The Székelys.